Sweet Potato Lentil Gumbo
- 1 sweet potato- peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- ½ cup green or brown lentils
- ½ teaspoon EACH coriander AND cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon EACH smoked paprika, ground cinnamon, AND turmeric
- 1 Pinch ground nutmeg
- 3 Cups water/Vegetable Stock
- 1 cup baby spinach, roughly chopped
- Lemon for serving.
- Place the sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, red bell pepper, garlic, lentils, spices, and 3 cups of vegetable stock/water into a pressure cooker. Cover and cook on the low flame.
- Check the lentils for tenderness – If needed cook longer.
- Place half the soup into a blender along with a little additional Water (½ cup or so) and blend till smoothish.
- Add the puree back into the pressure cooker. Stir in the baby spinach and lemon juice. Let it simmer for a few mins -Serve hot.