Sweet and Sour Tofu
- Extra firm tofu – 300 Gms
- Corn-starch – 2 Tbsp
- Sesame Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Garlic cloves – Minced – 1 Tbsp
- Small Onion Diced - 1
- ½ Red bell pepper (medium, seeded and chopped)
- ½ yellow bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- Soy Sauce - 1 Tsp
- Vinegar - 1 Tsp
- Chilli Sauce – 2 Tsp
- Brown Sugar/Honey/Maple Syrup - 2 Tsp
- Fresh Ginger – grated – 1 Tbsp
- Red Chili flake – 1 tsp
- 3 green onions (chopped, for garnish, optional)
- Drain the tofu as much as possible, tightly wrapping it in paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove excess liquid. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut the tofu into one-inch cubes. Then lightly toss the tofu cubes into the 1 Tbsp corn-starch to coat all sides.
- Heat 1 Tbsp Sesame oil in a heavy skilled and Brown the tofu cubes on all sides, about 3 to 4 minutes, until crispy.
- Sauté the minced garlic, onions, and bell peppers until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- Whisk together the Soy Sauce, Vinegar, Chilli Sauce, honey, ginger, and red pepper flakes. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the 1 Tbsp corn starch with 2 tablespoons water.
- Add the sauce mixture to a small saucepan on the stove at medium heat. Add the in the corn-starch mixture and keep stirring until the sauce thickens, about 30 seconds. Immediately remove from the heat.
- Pour the sauce over the veggies and add in the cubed tofu, stirring to thoroughly coat with the sauce. Garnish with chopped green onions