Spanish Cauli Rice
- 1 cup grated or shredded cauliflower
- 1 large tomato divided or 1 1/4 cup chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp pickled jalapeno
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup red or green bell pepper chopped
- Coriander and lime juice for garnish
- Rice the cauliflower florets if you have not already in a food processor by pulsing it a few times.
- Then blend 1 tomato, onion, Jalapeno and spices until pureed smoothly.
- Add this blended mixture to a skillet and heat over medium heat and let it cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion does not smell raw anymore.
- Add the bell peppers and rest of the chopped tomato and cook for a minute.
- Add the cauliflower and mix and toss well. Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes
- Open the cover, add some lime juice. If cauliflower is not cooked to preference then continue to cook for another 2 minutes else fluff and taste and adjust for flavor and cover again for 2-3 minutes for it to steam.
- Garnish with cilantro and salsa and lime wedges, Store refrigerated up to 4 days.
- Cut the cauliflower head into small florets equal in size. Try to make them as even as possible to allow for even “ricing”.
- If you are using a small food processor, start by placing only about half of the cauliflower florets in your food processor.
- Pulse a few times until it resembles coarse “rice” grains. Set aside in a bowl and repeat with remaining florets. Don’t overcrowd the food processor otherwise, the rice grains won’t be even.
- Do not squish or press the grated cauliflower or the cooked cauliflower rice.
- Fluff the cauliflower rice before and after cooking for perfect fluffiness.
- Cook the rice till just about done. Longer cooking time will make mushy cauliflower.
- Depending on the moisture content, you may have to cook the Spanish Cauliflower Rice some time uncovered