Iyengar Style Masala Toast
- 4 Whole Wheat Bread , slices
- 1 teaspoon Cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin (Jeera) seeds
- 3 Green Chillies , finely chopped
- 1/2 Onion , finely chopped
- 1 Tomato , deseeded, finely chopped
- 1 cup Cabbage , finely chopped
- 2 Carrots , grated
- 3/4 cup Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum) , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Chaat Masala Powder
- Salt , to taste
- 1 tablespoon Coriander (Dhania) Leaves , finely chopped
- To begin making the Iyengar Bakery Style Masala Bread Recipe, we will first make the topping.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds and allow them to crackle. Add onions, green bell peppers, carrots, cabbage and the finely chopped green chili and saute until the onions, cabbage and peppers soften.
- Once they turn soft, add the finely chopped de-seeded tomato, saute and cook until it softens and cooks well.
- Add the salt, red chili powders, chaat masala and stir well to combine at low heat. Check the taste and adjust accordingly.
- Cook at low heat for another 1 minute and turn off the heat. The filling is now ready to be topped over toasted bread. 6. The next step is the toast the bread. Grease and preheat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and toast the bread on both sides.
- Spoon and spread the masala topping over the toasted bread and serve hot.