- Carrots chopped 2 medium
- Tomatoes chopped 4 medium
- Garlic Cloves 4
- Split Pigeon Peas (Toovar Dal) 1 Tbsp
- Black Peppercorns 3 – 4
- Lemon Sized Tamarind Ball 1 Small
- Asafoetida, a pinch
- Turmeric Powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves 5 – 6
- Salt to Taste
- Sugar 1/2 teaspoon
- Rasam Powder 3 teaspoons
- Mustard Seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds (Methi Dana) 1/2 teaspoon
- Dried Red Chillies Broken 2
- Fresh Coriander Leaves chopped 2 tbsp
Rasam Powder can be substituted with Sambhar Powder.
- Pressure cook carrots, tomatoes, garlic, toovar dal and black peppercorns till vegetables are soft.
- Cool and grind into a smooth paste.
- Soak Tamarind in a little warm water and extract the juice.
- Take the ground paste in a deep non-stick pan.
- Add the Tamarind juice and one and a half cups of water.
- Mix well and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil, asafoetida, turmeric powder, curry leaves, salt, sugar and rasam powder.
- Stir to mix and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cover with a lid. Heat the remaining oil and add mustard seeds.
- When the seeds splutter, add methi dana and red chillies and pour this over the rasam.